Keep Christ in Christmas?

Some time ago I spent a day at a craft and bake sale, and it provided me with an interesting take on something that always crops up this time of year – the supposed attack on Christmas.  

At the sale, I repeatedly observed one person interact with others, but I never once saw or heard this person use simple manners or common courtesies.  There was never a please or thank you, never a true smile, only thinly veiled contempt and, sometimes, downright rudeness. 
Then came the discussion of the use of “Happy Holidays.”

This person proceeded to go on a verbal rampage, where they, quite loudly, let everyone within earshot know that anyone who wishes them a “Happy Holidays” is given a lecture in return about the fact that they were a Christian and how people need to quit attacking Christmas, keep Christ in Christmas and yadda, yadda, yadda. 

Hmmm …
There’s a reason America is a called a Melting Pot.  When I first meet someone I can’t tell you if they’re Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan, Buddhist, Druid or an Atheist.  There are a lot of religious holidays in December, and my new friend could celebrate one, all or none of them.  Therefore, it is absolutely appropriate to wish that person a Happy Holidays.  Doing so is not attacking any religion.  It is simply acknowledging that we have a lot of different folks in this great land. 

Whatever that person chooses to respond with -- Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Have a Blessed Yule or Bah Humbug, tells me more about them.  It gives me a glimpse of their personality, it may shed light upon their religious preference, and it might even spark a friendly conversation.    
But giving me a lecture in return for saying something nice?  Is that the “Christian” thing to do? 

I don’t think I saw that person at the bake sale behave in a Christian way all day.  They were rude, belligerent, contemptuous – not Christ-like at all.  So … why would I wish this person a merry anything??  Why would I take to heart anything they said about keeping Christ in the holiday when they don’t appear to keep Christ in their life?  Maybe I should tell this person “Happy Holidays” as a polite way to say “Cheer up and quit acting so rude.” 
I like to watch people, and I’ve been keeping an eye on the “attack” on Christmas.  In looking back over the last few years, I can’t say that I’ve witnessed one person actually attack the holiday.  I’m sure they do, but I can’t say that I’ve ever personally witnessed it.  However, I have repeatedly witnessed “Christians” attack others for doing something nice – wishing them a pleasant time. 

Would Christ have lectured me for saying “Happy Holidays”?  Probably not.  I think he would have simply smiled and wished me a “Merry Christmas” in return.  
If you want to encourage the world to keep Christ in Christmas then set a good example – act like a Christian.  When someone says “Happy Holidays” cheerfully say “Merry Christmas” in return.  Smile at them, be polite, and be Christ-like.  You’ll get a lot further with that than you will by acting rude and lecturing them. 

 

By the way, writing Merry Xmas isn’t taking Christ out of Christmas either.  The Greek letter Chi, written in English as “X,” has been used by Christians to denote Christ for well over a thousand years.  That’s right – over 1,000 years, a millenium.  It’s not taking Christ out of the holiday at all.  It’s simply shorthand that has been in place since a lot longer than any of us have been alive. 

Comments