Sometimes Ghosts are Helpful

I live in a haunted house here in Nashville. It’s not creepy haunted. At least I don’t think it is, but I know my former roommate would beg to differ. No, I don’t think my ghost is scary at all. In fact, I find her funny and helpful.

My ghost is a member of my family, and she’s been with me for a few years now. I’m not exactly sure why she chose me to “haunt,” but I’m happy to have her around. We have a similar sense of humor, and her jokes amuse me. Her favorite prank is to turn off the hot water when someone is in the shower, but she generally only does that to a person if they’ve upset me in some way.

My roommate doesn’t care for cold showers, but she doesn’t object to my ghost because she’s helped her on more than one occasion.


When there are three people living in one small place, things get misplaced, lost or buried. We all throw in and search, but sometimes things are just gone. After a stretch of frantic looking, I will ask my relative for help. I simply call out, “Can you please help us find (insert missing object here)?”

I once misplaced my car keys and was frantic to find them so I could make an appointment. I went through my purse twice and dumped it out once, putting each item back in one piece at a time. I looked in the couch, under the chair, everywhere I could think to look, and I could not find my keys. I finally called out and asked for help. My purse, which I had placed in a chair, all the way to the back, jumped off and into the floor. Even though my pursed turned completely over, the only thing to come flying out were my car keys. She probably laughed when she threw my purse at me since I’d obviously missed them in my search.

Another time I misplaced a kitchen item, and I needed it pretty quickly since I had a house full of friends waiting for dinner. I asked for help and suddenly felt compelled to go to my bedroom. There, lying exactly in the center of my bed, was the missing item. The argument could be made that I had carried it with me earlier in the evening and just didn’t realize I’d left it there. However, my friends had been in and out of my bedroom since that was where we were putting coats and purses and not a single one of them saw anything on the bed.

Yes, my ghost is helpful, and that’s why I try not to take advantage. I always try to find what I need by myself. It’s only when absolutely necessary that I ask for spirited assistance. After all, I don’t want my ghost to feel like she’s being taken advantage of and possibly moving on. I rather like having her around.

Note: This is a repost of a piece I have previously published on another site.





Comments